Friday, December 14, 2007

Ubuntu's DIY Server Ads - Love 'em or hate 'em?

If you read the same online journals as I do, then you've no doubt seen the new Ubuntu Server ads. I've seen two so far. The one of the guy in the park popping a tent and this one:





























































So, I could be wrong, but I think I saw some of the people in these ads in Boston at the recent Ubuntu Developer Summit. If I am correct that these ads were in fact shot at Ubuntu's offices and that these are Canonical employees, then this would mark a pretty big departure from the traditional, professionally-developed and expensive online ads that usually run on web sites like eWeek. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. In fact, there's something very cool and refreshing about the Canonical ads.

But, there's also something amateurish about them. I don't know whether I like them or not. What does the DIYish nature of these ads say about Canonical? About Open Source?

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites